What is Structural Heart Disease?
Structural heart disease encompasses a variety of conditions affecting the heart's structure - valves, chambers, walls, and appendages.
What Causes Structural Heart Disease?
Structural heart disease can be congenital (you are born with it) or it can be caused by wear and tear, or disease.
Why Choose Erlanger for Structural Heart Care?
Erlanger is home to the region’s most comprehensive care for structural heart disease. Our team approach includes consultation with an imaging cardiologist, structural interventional cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons, and advanced practice providers. We are a high-volume center performing innovative therapies including robotic, minimally invasive procedures and the latest percutaneous techniques (through the skin vs. open surgery) for faster healing and better outcomes. Through our participation in numerous on-going clinical trials, Erlanger is not only performing these ground-breaking procedures, we’re involved in developing the next generation of treatments and advanced technologies for structural heart disease.
Conditions We Treat
- Atrial septal defects (ASD)
- Patent foramen ovale (PFO)
- Ventricular septal defects (VSD)
- Hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy (HOCM)
- Paravalvular/paraprosthetic valvular leak (PVL)
- Patent ductus arterioles (PDA)
- Pulmonary vein stenosis
- Aortic stenosis (AS)
- Aortic regurgitation (AR/AI)
- Mitral stenosis (MS)
- Mitral regurgitation (MR)
- Pulmonic stenosis (PS)
- Pulmonic regurgitation (PR)
- Tricuspid stenosis (TS)
- Tricuspid regurgitation (TR)
- Infective endocarditis (IE)
- Left atrial appendages in atrial fibrillation
Services and Procedures We Offer
- Transthoracic echocardiography (2D and 3D with strain)
- Transesophageal echocardiography (with 3D)
- Cardiac CT
- Cardiac MRI
Structural Heart Services
- Minimally invasive thoracic aortic aneurysm surgery
- Surveillance monitoring of mild and moderate valvular heart and other structural heart problems
- Surgical aortic valve replacement (SAVR) and minimally invasive TAVR (transcatheter aortic valve replacement) for aortic stenosis
- Balloon aortic valvuloplasty
- Surgical repair or replacement of any valve lesion, including minimally invasive robotic
- Transcatheter mitral valve repair (TMVR) (Mitraclip)
- Transcatheter pulmonic valve replacement (TPVR)
- Percutaneous and surgical atrial septal defect closure
- Percutaneous and surgical ventricular septal defect closure
- Percutaneous and surgical patent foramen ovale closure
- Alcohol septal ablation and septal myectomy for hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy
- Percutaneous paravalvular leak repair
- Percutaneous right-sided vegetation removal
- Left atrial appendage occlusion (LAAO)
- Right Heart Mass Debulking
Our Structural Heart Team