Why Choose Erlanger for Heart Surgery?
The Erlanger Heart and Lung Institute is home to nationally renowned innovators in minimally invasive robotic heart surgery. Performing highly advanced, life-saving procedures through small incisions, our heart surgery team is taking cardiac care to the next level in our region and beyond. For patients, this means faster recovery with less pain and a shorter hospital stay.We offer a wide range of surgical options including open sternotomy and minimally invasive/advanced robotic surgery for coronary revascularization or heart valve repairs, and off-pump/beating-heart surgery.
Advanced Hybrid Procedures
Our surgeons collaborate closely with our caridologists, cardiac anesthesiologists, interventionists, and electrophysiologists to provide the most advanced hybrid treatments. Hybrid procedures combine the advantages of cardiac surgery and interventional (catheter-based) approaches to offer patients the best both treatment worlds. Our hybrid options include convergent procedures, left atrial appendage occlusions, robotic maze, and TAVR/robotic cases.
Advanced Cardiothoracic Robotic Surgery
- Single or double vessel revascularization
- Mitral valve repairs and replacements
- Atricure maze procedures
- Left atrial appendage occlusions
- Pericardial windows
Open Cardiac Procedures
- Multi-vessel revascularization
- Aortic valve replacements
- Mitral valve repair/replacements
- Tricuspid valve repair/replacements
- Extensive left ventricular outflow track (LVOT) repairs
- Left ventricular (LV) aneurysms
- ASD/VAD/PFO closures
Advanced Aortic Surgery
- Valve replacement with mechanical, animal, or human homograft valves
- David procedures - aortic valve and root reconstruction
- Bentall and Ross procedures
- Total arch, hemi arch, and head vessel reimplantation
- Frozen elephant trunks into descending aorta
Advanced Atrial Fibrillation Surgery
- Maze procedures
- Convergent cases
- Left atrial appendage clips and ligations
- Veno-arterial (VA)/veno-venous (VV) ECMO implantation and removal with extensive management
- Intra-aortic balloon pump insertion, removal, and management
Cardiothoracic Surgery Team
“Most People Don’t Live through This” – Shirley’s Story
An aortic dissection is often fatal. Luckily, Shirley Lipscomb was quickly taken to the Erlanger Heart and Lung Institute where Dr. Larry Shears performed the delicate repair.
Fast Action, World-Class Care Helped John Survive Aortic Tear - John's Story
John Querry of Blue Ridge, GA, knew something was wrong when heard a pop in his low back. An astute ER physician determined John had suffered a deadly aortic rupture.