Treatments for Spine Disorders
979 E. 3rd Street
Chattanooga, TN 37403
Highest Level of Training
At UT Erlanger Neurosurgery & Spine, we take pride in offering the best spine treatment in the area. We are uniquely qualified to manage all your spinal disorders and provide the highest level of expertise when dealing with spine problems. We treat the entire central nervous system. This includes the spinal cord itself, as well as all the structures surrounding the spinal cord: the bones of the spine, the discs, and the ligaments. We are familiar with all treatment options and are uniquely qualified to determine which option will be the safest and most effective for each patient. Finally, we are well qualified to diagnose neurologic conditions, interpret MRI scans and CAT scans, and recommend the best treatment option.
Surgery isn’t the first option; Surgery isn’t the only option
While we are trained to perform highly advanced surgical techniques, the majority of our patients undergo non-surgical treatment. We offer a variety of conservative treatment options, including physical therapy, epidural steroid injections, and anti-inflammatory medications. Our rehab program offers the latest and most comprehensive non-surgical treatments.
If Surgery is Necessary
We offer a wide variety of surgical options to help correct spine disorders. Precision and delicacy are keys to a successful and safe procedure. Utilizing operative microscopes and with our excellent training, our surgeries allow for smaller incisions, greater precision and faster patient recovery. The microscopic procedures available today are allowing patients to leave the hospital as early as the day of surgery and returning to normal activities in days instead of weeks. We perform small, minimally invasive procedures whenever possible. In some cases, spinal stabilization and fusion procedures are necessary. Rest assured that we are fully trained and fluent in these complex cases. Newer technologies, such as motion preserving artificial discs and inter-spinous spacers are also options.
- Minimally invasive laminectomy & discectomy: quicker recovery times and less need for pain medication than traditional open approaches
- Kyphoplasty: minimally invasive treatment of spine fractures. Eliminates the need for cumbersome braces. Proven quicker recovery times and less need for pain medication than traditional open approaches
- Minimally invasive spine fusions
- Artificial disk surgery: artificial discs represent an emerging treatment option in degenerative disorders of the spine. They are designed to be an alternative to traditional spinal fusion surgery, with the advantage of preserving spinal motion while maintaining stability.
- Complex spine surgery
- Scoliosis/deformity correction surgery
- Spinal cord tumors: surgical treatment and resection
- Traumatic injuries to the spine: a comprehensive treatment strategy including diagnosis, formulation of appropriate surgical treatment regimen, and post-injury rehabilitation
- Epidural steroid injections: non-surgical delivery of medication to the spine to treat nerve and back pain. Performed in an outpatient setting with minimal recovery and healing time.
- X-stop procedure as an alternative to traditional lumbar laminectomy