We’re Working to ‘Close the Gap’
Reducing cardiovascular care disparities for women through education and access
According to the local health data and the CDC, the leading cause of death in Hamilton County is heart disease. This data also indicates that women are less likely to seek medical care for heart-related symptoms and obtain continuous and preventive health care. This is especially prevalent in the African American and Hispanic/Latino populations. In addition, women often do not exhibit the same signs and symptoms as men when having a heart attack and therefore, they may not be diagnosed as quickly.
Close the Gap: Health Equity for Life
The Erlanger Heart and Lung Institute is partnering with the Boston Scientific ‘Close the Gap’ program to increase knowledge among healthcare providers and patients in order to improve access to cardiovascular care for women in Hamilton County. Goals include:
- Increase the number of women receiving advanced cardiovascular care.
- Increase the number of African-American women receiving advanced cardiovascular care.
- Increase the number of Hispanic/Latino women receiving advanced cardiovascular care.
- Educate the female population within the Hamilton County community about heart disease, prevention, risk factors, treatment and healthy lifestyles.
- Provide heart health screening to the community.
Talk to your doctor. Know your risk factors. Take charge of your heart health.