Erlanger offers clinical training to undergraduate nurses in a variety of settings. Go to Total Clinical Placement System (TCPS) to see all available opportunities.
- Clinical Orientation Checklist must be submitted to the clinical site coordinator each semester before students may enter the facility.
- All placement requests must be made through Total Clinical Placement System or the site Clinical Placement Coordinator. Do not make requests to department managers or staff.
- All clinical instructors and students must complete hospital orientation through TCPS.
- Each assigned placement in TCPS must have the required information.
- TCPS’s daily report should reflect who is on site for the day.
- Instructor: Name (full name) and Contact (we must be able to reach instructors).
- Accurate list of dates for each clinical visit
- Student: list students on the dates they will be assigned to the placement - Students should not be listed on more than one placement for the same date.
- All placements left unassigned to instructor/students within two weeks of start date may be opened in TCPS for other schools to reserve.
- Instructors must send students to the units where they are assigned in TCPS.
- 12hr clinical days are expected to provide opportunities to other programs seeking clinical.
- Faculty/Instructors should orient to the units they are assigned to at least a week prior to first clinical each semester/term.
- No more than 1 student per staff nurse.
- Nurse preceptor may have 2 students only if 1 student is in a preceptor placement and the second student is part of a group placement.
- Clinical instructors and students who are also employees of Erlanger Health System should act within the parameters of their role. Employees should not use badge or eChart access when on site as an instructor or student.
- Clinical faculty may not access the Omnicell medication dispensing system.
- Erlanger is smoke-free
- School-issued badges must be worn at all times-above the waist
- Students must not work the shift before clinical- 8hrs minimum between work and clinical.
- Minimal personal belongings should be brought on site.
- Students are expected to be engaged with patient care learning experiences; homework, studying should not be worked on during the clinical shift.
- Nurses station, unit breakroom areas, lounges or physician dictation areas must not be used for lunch or post conference; conference rooms may be used with manager's permission.
Clinical Placement Types
- Group Placements (Med-surg Units) - Instructor must be on the floor with students
- Observation Placements (ICU, ED, Surgery and procedural areas) - Instructor must be onsite and available by phone
- Preceptor Placements (Assigned to follow RN's Schedule) - Instructor must be available by phone
- Leadership Placements (Shadow a nursing leader) - Instructor must be available by phone
Full guidelines are available on the TCPS Orientation site under Faculty Orientation.
eChart (Electronic Medical Record System)
- All instructors/faculty that bring students into the facility may request access to eChart, the electronic medical record. Requests for student and faculty access are submitted via the same process.
- To obtain eChart access the following forms must be submitted.
- Atos Access Request Form
- EMR Request spreadsheet
- Confidentiality Agreement
- Forms can be found on TCPS orientation site
- Nurses should not be asked to sign in for faculty/students.