Healthy Weight, Healthy You Program
UT Family Medicine
1100 East 3rd St.
Chattanooga, TN 37403
For help registering, scheduling, or making payment, call:
Join us for an evidence-based, supportive program to help you achieve a healthier weight and a healthier you!
Have you been looking for some help to lose weight and improve your health? Are you tired of dieting on your own and wanting support to adopt a sensible and sustainable eating plan that is evidence-based and medically supervised? Dr. Steven Fox and his team would love to share with you how a plant-based approach can give you the answers you’re looking for.
Who Is Eligible?
- You must be a patient of Erlanger Family Medicine
- You must have a body mass index (BMI) greater than 30. Use our online calculator to estimate your BMI, or talk to your UT Family Medicine provider.
- We are expecting the class to fill. Registrations will be accepted on a first-come first-served basis, except that preference will be given to those who are able to attend all six sessions.
When and Where?
- Six 90-minute Sessions
- UT Family Medicine Conference Room, 1100 East 3rd St., Chattanooga, TN 37403
- 1-2:30 PM on every other Monday (about two visits per month)
- Streamlined check-in at 12:30 PM to record your height, weight, and blood pressure
Initial 2024 Program Dates
Monday afternoons from 1-2:30 PM:
- Jan. 22
- Feb. 5
- Feb. 19
- March 4
- March 18
- April 1
What to Expect?
You will join a group of 15-20 patients with similar goals to:
- Hear short, evidence-based lectures
- Taste catered food samples
- Watch live cooking demonstrations
- Set individual goals
- Receive routine medical care and advice for any other chronic conditions you may have including standard of care testing and medication adjustments.
In between classes, you will also receive messaging via the Erlanger MyChart patient portal on resources, recipes, and inspiration as well as a phone call from a health coach. You will also be given a three-ring binder to set your goals, track your progress, and store resources and recipes.
What is the Cost?
- $60 per participant ($10 per session) to help pay for cooking supplies and multidisciplinary expertise.
- This amount is offset by the fact that there are no co-pays required for each session since this is a preventative service.
How to Register?
- Register online here
If you are not comfortable completing our online form, or are having trouble with it, please call 423-778-DOCS (3627). Our call center will help you get registered.
Photos and Videos
Meet Our Instructors
Steven Fox, MD
Family Medicine Physician and Program Director
Dr. Steven Fox is a certified Lifestyle Medicine provider and family medicine physician with UT Family Medicine. As director of the Healthy Weight, Healthy You Program. Dr. Fox partners with dietitians, nutritionists, clinical pharmacists, and health coaches to provide you with the information, tools, and skills needed to adopt habits in line with your individual goals. He has been a faculty member for the University of Tennessee Family Medicine Residency program since 2013 and completed a longitudinal Faculty Development Fellowship Program at the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill in 2015. Go to Dr. Fox's full bio and videos.
J. Lacie Bradford, PharmD, BCPS
Family Medicine Clinical Pharmacist
Dr. Bradford received her Bachelor of Science degree from Clemson University and then obtained her Doctor of Pharmacy degree from Union University in Jackson, Tennessee. She currently practices in collaboration with the UT Family Medicine academic teaching service in both the acute care and primary care settings, where she serves as a preceptor for pharmacy students and residents. She contributes to medical resident and student education as a faculty member with the Family Medicine Department of the University of Tennessee College of Medicine-Chattanooga. In her free time, she enjoys baking, being outside and spending time with her husband and two children.
Dorothea Sarli, MS RDN LDN
Registered Dietitian Nutritionist
Dorothea enjoys helping clients reach their health goals through nutrition. She does this through seeing patients at her nutrition counseling practice, developing and sharing healthy recipes, and teaching nutrition to university students. Dorothea holds a masters degree in human nutrition from Andrews University and is a Certified Lifestyle Medicine Practitioner with the American College of Lifestyle Medicine. She is a registered dietitian and is licensed to practice in Tennessee and Georgia.
Christine “Crissie” Smith, RN
Registered Nurse, Health Coach and Food for Life Instructor
Crissie Smith stays busy meeting one on one with clients who desire guidance and support as they discover successful steps toward their health goals. She also teaches a Food Rx: Using Food as Medicine Class, inspiring participants to shop, prepare, and enjoy the benefits of a Whole Food Plant-Based Diet. She and Dr. Suzannah Bozzone, MD co-own True Health Journey, a Lifestyle Medicine Practice. They work together with clients treating the root cause of disease, empowering clients with the knowledge, support and tools they need to create a healthier, more vibrant life. Crissie takes the time to personalize plans for each client.
Phyllis Smith, MSNE
Co-founder of the health outreach program, Dinner with the Doctor (dinnerwiththedoctor.com), a whole food, plant-based curriculum that emphasizes nutrition as medicine in the prevention and reversal of lifestyle-relate chronic diseases. Phyllis has coordinated large-scale health fairs and a city-wide health and dental clinic. She has taught cooking classes for many years and developed recipes for vegan and whole food, plant-based lifestyles. Phyllis earned a Masters degree in Nutrition Education from The American University, in Washington, DC, and holds a Bachelor's degree in Health and Wellness.
- How Not to Diet by Dr. Michael Greger
- The Beck Diet Solution by Dr. Judith Beck
- Atomic Habits by James Clear