Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
The Department of Plastic Surgery at the University of Tennessee College of Medicine Chattanooga was established in 1973 and is one of the oldest plastic surgery departments in the nation. The department has an active and fully-accredited three year Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery Residency Training Program. The department maintains accreditation and functions in accordance with the policies and procedures of the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME). The Residency Review Committee of the ACGME commended our program for its substantial compliance with the ACGME's Requirements for Graduate Medical Education.
Department of Plastic Surgery faculty include: Dr. Mark Brzezienski, Program Director, Director of Research, Associate Professor; Dr. Jason Rehm, Associate Program Director, Assistant Professor; Dr. Todd Thurston, MS, MD, Director of Pediatric Plastic Surgery for Children’s Hospital at Erlanger, and Dr. Jimmy Waldrop, Assistant Professor.
Each member has a special area of interest and expertise. The Department of Plastic Surgery is unique in that all of the faculty in the department have private practices at The Plastic Surgery Group, P.C.—housed in Erlanger’s Medical Mall and established in 1958. The surgeons at The Plastic Surgery Group, P.C. perform plastic, cosmetic, and reconstructive surgery. To learn more about The Plastic Surgery Group, P.C., visit www.RefinedLooks.com.
Examples of Surgeries performed by Faculty in the Department of Plastic Surgery
- Surgery to correct congenital defects of the head and neck, including clefts of the lip and palate, and craniofacial surgery
- Cranio-maxillofacial trauma, including fractures.
- Surgery of the hand and upper extremities
- Surgery of the lower extremities
- Microsurgical techniques that make the reattachment of hands, feet, and digits possible
- Plastic surgery of congenital and acquired defects of the trunk and genitalia
- Burn management and acute and reconstructive surgery
- Reconstruction by tissue transfer, including flaps and grafts
- Surgery of benign and malignant lesions of the skin and soft tissue
- Migraine Headache Surgery
Dr. Marshall Jemison also performs hand surgery through the Hayes Hand Center, which was founded at the Plastic Surgery Group. Dr. Jemison is an Associate Professor in the Orthopedic Department and an Assistant Professor in the Plastic Surgery Department of UT.