Dr. Sandeep Rajan is the medical director of Erlanger Hematology and Oncology, which is a collaborative, comprehensive cancer care partnership between Erlanger Health System and Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center. He is also an associate professor of medicine at Vanderbilt University.
Born in India, Dr. Rajan received his Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Science (MBBS) from Maulana Azad Medical College in New Delhi. He completed a residency in internal medicine and his fellowship training at LAC + USC Medical Center in Los Angeles.
Dr. Rajan has been involved in many non-malignant hematology clinical and translational research programs with the development of clinical trials in conjunction with local researchers. His clinical and research interests include the following:
- Hemophilia and bleeding disorders
- Thrombosis and clotting disorders (including stroke in young people, frequent miscarriages, deep vein thrombosis, and pulmonary embolism)
- Non-malignant and malignant hematological disorders (including anemia, low platelets, thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP), immune thrombocytopenia (ITP), atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome (aHUS), thalassemia, hemochromatosis, and a high number of white cells)
- Polycythemia and other myeloproliferative disorders
- Myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS)
- Chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL)
- Hodgkin’s Disease
- Plasma cell dyscrasia