Thoracic Surgery/Thoracic Oncology Surgery
Why Choose Erlanger Thoracic Surgery?
Erlanger’s department of Thoracic Surgery focuses on prevention, early diagnosis, and treatment of diseases of the chest. Our team is highly skilled in the latest minimally-invasive procedures, such as video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS) and robotic-assisted technology. To help ensure the best possible patient outcomes, we take a collaborative approach to care, integrating doctors trained in diagnosis, thoracic surgery, pathology, and oncology as well as therapists and other health care professionals.
What Is Thoracic Surgery?
Thoracic surgery may be needed for penetrating injuries, as well as infectious or cancerous issues of the chest cavity. Surgical interventions can be performed via open, video, and robotic methods. We specialize in abnormalities of the tissue in the thymus, esophagus, lungs, chest wall, pleural space, and diaphragm. Our thoracic surgery team plays an instrumental part in treating tumors of the chest and works in close collaboration with a multidisciplinary Tumor Board to ensure patients have timely and comprehensive care.
- Rigid bronchoscopy for foreign body removal
- Rigid bronchoscopy for deployment of tracheal stents
- Electromagnetic navigational bronchoscopy
- Endobronchial ultrasound for biopsy
- Airway stents
- Argon ablation
- Intrabronchial valves for air leak control
- Rigid esophagoscopy for stent placement
- Rigid esophagoscopy for foreign body removal
Thoroscopic Surgery for diagnosis, cancer resections, interstitial lung disease, bleb resections, lung volume reduction, collapsed lung, empyema, or recurrent pleural effusion
- Video assisted
- Open thoracotomy
- Veno-arterial (VA)/veno-venous (VV) ECMO implantation and removal with extensive management
- Intra-aortic balloon pump insertion, removal, and management
Endobronchial valve placement for control of persistent air leak
Lung volume reduction surgery
Symptomatic hiatal hernia repair
Robotic diaphragm plication
Our Cardiothoracic Surgery Team