Center of Excellence - Cancer Services
What is Cancer?
Cancer is a collection of related diseases in which some of the body’s cells begin to divide without stopping and spread into surrounding tissues.
Academic Oncology – The Highest Level of Care
Erlanger’s comprehensive approach to cancer care starts with multidisciplinary tumor boards – weekly meetings in which top medical, surgical and radiation oncologists review each patient’s treatment options. And no team offers more innovative, life-saving options – backed by compassionate support from nurse navigators, dieticians and social workers. It adds up to a level of care that has earned UT Erlanger accreditation from the elite American College of Surgeons. And as the region’s only teaching cancer center, Erlanger also stands apart by providing access to more clinical trials than anywhere in the region.
More Ways to Beat Cancer
- Medical genetics – Erlanger offers the specialized expertise to help identify genetic predisposition in cancer patients and help tailor interventions and treatments accordingly. LEARN MORE
- Advanced genomic testing – Erlanger pathologists provide the region’s most advanced genomic testing, or molecular profiling, for each patient’s specific cancer or tumor. This lets our medical oncologists create targeted, patient-specific therapies. LEARN MORE
- Minimally-invasive robotic surgery – Erlanger’s da Vinci “S” surgical system keeps incisions very small - while dramatically reducing hospitalization and recovery times.
Learn more about the many innovative cancer treatment technologies offered at Erlanger
Cutting Edge Treatments
- Cervical Cancer – Erlanger offers the widest range of treatments for cervical cancer, including the region’s only low and high-dose brachytherapy.
- Liver and Colon Cancers – We’re the region’s only provider to offer yttrium-90 (Y-90) for the treatment of liver cancer and metastatic colon cancer.
- Lung Cancer – Erlanger is a national leader in treating lung cancer with CyberKnife and among the first to offer lung optimized treatment, which tracks tumors without implanting markers
Cancer Services and Patient Resources