Dr. Arant holds the distinction of being the only physician in Tennessee and the only pediatrician in the United States who is board-certified in both hypertension and lipidology. Lipidologists specialize in cholesterol disorders known as dyslipidemias, which may cause atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease. "Two-thirds of individuals with hypertension have a lipid disorder," Dr. Arant explains, "so effectively controlling both high blood pressure and cholesterol levels can promote a longer and healthier life." Dr. Arant is a tenured Professor of Pediatrics at the UT College of Medicine Chattanooga and an internationally recognized nephrologist. CLICK HERE to read his full profile.
Michael R. Geer, M.D., F.A.C.C specializes in helping children, adolescents, and adults manage their blood pressure and cholesterol in order to lead healthier lives. The Erlanger Hypertension Management Center is one of two programs (both at Erlanger) in the region that focus on hypertension. The center offers risk assessments of blood pressure and vascular disease, medication adjustments, and lifestyle education and treatment of hypertension, cholesterol-related problems, and metabolic syndrome. Dr. Geer is board-certified in internal medicine, hypertension, and cardiology.
“We’re here to help individuals manage and control their blood pressure—which can reduce the risk of future heart disease or stroke,” explains Dr. Geer. He earned his undergraduate and medical degrees from Duke University and completed his internship, residency, and cardiology fellowship training at Brooke Army Medical Center at Ft. Sam Houston, Texas. Dr. Geer is an Associate Professor of Medicine at the UT College of Medicine Chattanooga, based at Erlanger. CLICK HERE to read his full profile.
- Lifestyle modification education
- Hypertension/vascular risk assessment
- Medication adjustment to reach blood pressure and cholesterol goals established by national guidelines
- Laboratory monitoring
- Exercise and diet guidelines
- Cardiovascular profile to check vascular elasticity
- 24-hour ambulatory blood pressure monitor
- Detection of pre-diabetic condition
- 3-IN-1 Vascular Screening
- Carotid artery ultrasound scan with IMT measurements—a predictor of heart attack and stoke
- Ultrasound scan of aorta—to detect abdominal aneurysm
- Doppler exam of lower extremities—to detect peripheral artery disease