The region's ONLY healthcare provider offering two convenient birthing locations for your childbirth experience.
Each campus offers unique capabilities and the highest quality of care. Local parents choose Erlanger as the birthplace for their children more often than any other area facility.
Erlanger Baroness Campus
975 East 3rd Street - Chattanooga, TN 37403
Erlanger Health System’s Baroness Campus is the first hospital in the state of Tennessee and one of only a few hospitals in the Southeast to receive prestigious international recognition as a “Baby-Friendly” designated birth facility.
Baby-Friendly USA, Inc., is the US authority for the implementation of the Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative (BFHI), a global program sponsored by the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF). The initiative encourages and recognizes hospitals and birthing centers that offer an optimal level of care for breastfeeding mothers and their babies.
The nursing staff and physicians have worked hard for the past 2 ½ years to implement the ‘Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding’ and earn this prestigious international award.
The Baby-Friendly designation recognizes birth facilities that offer breastfeeding mothers the information, confidence, and skills to successfully initiate and continue breastfeeding their babies. The “Baby-Friendly” designation is given after a rigorous on-site survey is completed. The award is maintained by continuing to practice the Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding, which are:
- Have a written breastfeeding policy that is routinely communicated to all health care staff.
- Train all health care staff in skills necessary to implement this policy.
- Inform all pregnant women about the benefits and management of breastfeeding.
- Help mothers initiate breastfeeding within one half-hour of birth.
- Show mothers how to breastfeed and maintain lactation, even if they should be separated from their infants.
- Give newborn infants no food or drink other than breast milk, not even sips of water, unless medically indicated.
- Practice rooming in, allowing mothers and infants to remain together 24 hours a day.
- Encourage breastfeeding on demand.
- Give no artificial teats or pacifiers (also called dummies or soothers) to breastfeeding infants.
- Foster the establishment of breastfeeding support groups and refer mothers to them on discharge from the hospital or clinic.
There are more than 20,000 designated Baby-Friendly hospitals and birth centers worldwide. Currently there are 219 active Baby-Friendly hospitals and birth centers in the United States.
The services provided at this campus include:
- Complete maternity services with specialized care for high-risk obstetrics
- Designated as the Southeast Tennessee Regional Obstetrical-Perinatal Center, the highest level of obstetric care available
- The region's only High-Risk Perinatal Unit
- The region's only OB Triage for quick assessment of patients
- The region's only Level 3 Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at adjacent Children's Hospital at Erlanger
- A full range of pediatric and adult specialists available on-site 24/7 in the event of a medical emergency
- Family-centered care with spacious birthing rooms is provided. Rooming in with your infant is encouraged. The observation nursery is available for infants requiring extended care.
Erlanger East Campus
1751 Gunbarrel Road - Chattanooga, TN 37421
- Family-centered care in beautiful single room maternity suites
- Level 2 NICU for newborns with intermediate level medical problems
- Rooming in with your infant is encouraged but a full service holding nursery is available nightly 11 pm - 6 am, supported by our experienced nursing staff
- Scheduled and non-scheduled cesarean sections performed
- Celebratory dinner for parents available for purchase
Both locations offer:
- 24-hour anesthesia service for pain management and labor epidurals
- State-of-the-art surgical rooms for C-sections or gynecological surgeries
- Neonatal nurse practicioners available to assess the newborn and work in conjunction with your OB, pediatrician, and neonatologist
- A variety of customized newborn photo packages
- Lactation consultants
- A gift package for mother and baby