Interpreter Services offered at Erlanger Health System
Language Access for Deaf, Hard of Hearing or Limited English Proficiency (LEP) Patients who are Deaf, Hard of Hearing or Limited English Proficient (LEP) can effectively provide hospital staff with a clear statement of their medical condition and history. We want to ensure that the patient understands the provider’s assessment of their medical condition and treatment options which are essential to the provision of quality patient care.
Interpreters for foreign languages and sign language can be arranged by a member of our staff free of charge prior to your admission.
The services offered include:
- American Sign Language Interpreters (in person)
- Telephone based
- Video Remote Interpreters
How to Request Interpretation Services
*Please ask your physician’s staff or Erlanger staff to contact for services. How to request Limited English Proficient (LEP) Services is listed below:
- Deaf and Hard of Hearing Patients:
Please ask your physician’s staff or Erlanger staff to contact for services.
- Non-English Speaking Interpreter Service
Telephone-based interpreting service is offered through Language Services Associates, Inc. (LSA). To request telephonic service, please contact the Telecommunications Department by calling 423-778-7614.
- On-Site Foreign Language Interpreters
- Spanish-only interpreters are on duty at Erlanger Baroness Campus, Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:00pm. To request this service, please call 423-778-4025, or pager # 2474. Spanish-only interpreters may also be requested in advance by calling 778-7337, Monday – Friday.
- Spanish-only interpreters are on duty in Children’s Hospital, Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm.
- The telephonic phone service is available after hours and weekends.
- Video Remote Interpreter Service
- Staff personnel requiring the use of video remote interpretation services for patient encounters will checkout all necessary equipment from Security Dispatch by calling 778-7614.
- This service can be used to ensure effective communication for individuals who are Deaf, Hard of Hearing, and Limited English Proficient (LEP). The service will provide American Sign Language (ASL) and Spoken Spanish interpreter sessions. Additional languages can be requested.
Questions about Erlanger Health System language services, please contact the Diversity Department by calling 423-778-7337.